Monday, September 20, 2010

It's pronounced KEEN-wah

This might be a long post. Sorry in advance. When I sit down to type I always think I'll be done quickly and have nothing to say but, somehow, once I get to typing and rambling, well.... if you're a blog follower, you know how it goes. I'm a fast talker and a fast typist and I just can't stop myself and hey, why not? Blogging is free! Your time, of course, is very valuable, so I give you full permission to skim through every post. I can't really afford to pay you for your time after all. If you have nothing better to do though.... well... grab a cup of coffee and enjoy.

Fun things first...
Apples are now on G's safe food list. She has had them fresh in a mesh feeder. She has had them frozen in a mesh feeder. She has had them as a cooked puree. She has had apples every day for a week. She has not had them in a box nor with a fox. She has had them here and there, but she seems none the worse for the wear. We now how three safe foods. Hooray!

Teeth! Last Friday (9/17) two more teeth made their appearance above G's gumline. I seem to remember reading somewhere that most kids get teeth in the same order starting with the bottom center two, followed by the top center two. Of course, Ginny doesn't like to be like other kids so her 2nd two teeth were two additional bottom teeth. I've got to admit that it's kind of funny to see a kid with only four bottom teeth grinning at you! But that funny grin won't last for long because the top center two teeth broke through today (They're HUGE!). Ellie was never bothered by teething but Ginny seems to have a tougher time (Maybe because those top two teeth are SO FREAKING HUGE). Poor kiddo. Perhaps 6 teeth is enough for now and she'll get a break. All these milestones are fun, aren't they?

What isn't quite as much fun is the anxiety that settles in my gut with the start of each new food trial, but I seem to have a new found determination to keep on plowing through food as long as all is going well (I even have a plan four our next four food trials - squash, corn, lamb and bananas). So, Tomorrow morning will be the start of another food trial for us. To give credit where credit is due, I should tell you that my determination has been bolstered by the realization that, unlike FPIES moms in the past, we aren't really taking shots in the dark for food trials. We are blessed to get to learn from those who've struggled before us so our trials are based on their experiences. Pears, spinach and lamb seem to be the 'big three' safest foods for FPIES kids. Pears? Check. Spinach? Check. Lamb we'll hold off on that for just a bit yet. So what next? Ginny will be getting Quinoa. Why? It's in the same 'food family' as spinach, which makes it a likely safe food. It's versatile for cooking. I'm trying to introduce Ginny to many different textures so we don't have issues later. It's chock full-o-nutrients. Are those good enough reasons for you? Jeez! You people are demanding.

Have you ever eaten quinoa before? Me neither. So, what is it?
Quinoa [KEEN-wah] - is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a member of the grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds. Its leaves are also eaten as a leaf vegetable, much like amaranth, but the commercial availability of quinoa greens is currently limited.(Wikipedia) Although quinoa is new to the American market, it was a staple of the ancient Incas, who called it "the mother grain." To this day it's an important food in South American cuisine. Hailed as the "supergrain of the future," quinoa contains more protein than any other grain. It's considered a complete protein because it contains all eight essential amino acids. Quinoa is also higher in unsaturated fats and lower in carbohydrates than most grains, and it provides a rich and balanced source of vital nutrients. Tiny and bead-shaped, the ivory-colored quinoa cooks like rice (taking half the time of regular rice) and expands to four times its original volume. Its flavor is delicate, almost bland, and has been compared to that of couscous. (Food Lover's Companion, 2nd Edition)

So, here's to the Incas and their mother grain. I hope Ginny likes it. At least I'm not feeding her tumbleweeds (which are also related to spinach), right? Prost! Cheers! Salut! And good night...

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up. I mentioned quinoa to our GI doctor as a possible first grain for Jake... he said HUH?? He had no idea what I was talking about. I'm one of those weird people that saw it in the health food store one day and decided to try it. My kids really like it. Go figure. Here's to the Inca's! Prost with my DDP to you :) I hope the quinoa is going well. ~Heather

    ReplyDelete