Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The News From Our Little Corner of the World

We've lost Strawberry Shortcake and her friend, Razzberry Torte. They came to us via McDonald's Happy Meals and, tragically, they're missing. I have no idea when or where they were last seen. I must admit to having forgotten about them all together. Ellie, apparently, did not. For now, I've told Ellie that they're on a great adventure. That didn't stop her from melting down in a major way before her nap today but hopefully, it's bought me some time as I continue the man hunt. If you have any information as to their whereabouts, please contact the authorities.

These are the type of three year old dramas that tend to rule our world. These are the types of things that can make the difference between a happy three year old and a three year old who melts down throughout the day; frustrated, learning, growing and dealing with the world around her with all the tools currently in her emotional toolbox. I know that this blog is about Ginny's FPIES, however, Ginny's FPIES often seems to take a back seat as far as the 'action' in our household is concerned. Our FPIES food trials and my FPIES worries stay hidden behind the hustle and bustle and the never ending list of 'to do' items. We simply have to keep moving forward and when people say, "How are you?" there just isn't time for a real response. "We're fine!" Yup! Fine. My FPIES anxiety comes out mostly at night, when I should be sleeping. If G were failing foods, I'm sure this wouldn't be the case. If Ginny weren't so gosh-darned sweet and agreeable, I'm sure this wouldn't be the case. But it is. She is. When I pick up and drop off Ellie at pre-school, the little girls flock to Genevieve as if she actually has a gravitational pull. She takes in everything. She notices everything. She is content and full of easy, sweet smiles.

We went slow and careful and are calling bananas a pass. An easy, sweet pass. G ate a little bit of banana each day. Sometimes off a spoon, sometimes with her fingers and, eventually, just straight up eating bites right out of the peel. Now, like apples, she squeals when she sees one. It will be so nice to just be able to bring a banana along with us. No bowls or spoons or needing a microwave. And I know I've mentioned it before (a million times?) but bananas allow me to bake. They're the perfect egg substitute.

So....this week, Ginny is eating a mini quinoa-flour, banana muffin each day. Since those two major ingredients are already on our safe list, it's the other ingredients (honey, baking soda and canola oil) that are officially being 'trialed' as we do this. I like the muffins. I wasn't sure at first and G wasn't sure at first, but they've really grown on both of us. Not surprisingly, Ellie likes them too. Ellie eats everything. When I asked her, last week, what she wanted me to buy at the grocery store, she responded, "Avocado and star fruit." Huh? Seriously? I know you love avocado but starfruit? No cookies?(She knows starfruit only through a counting book we have.) So I bought some. She loved it. I thought it tasted kind of like perfume. She wants more this week.

That's all the news from our little corner of the world: Bananas, muffins, missing dolls and starfruit. And lots of laughing. Lots and lots of laughing. And dancing and singing. Not so exciting yet never a dull moment.

1 comment:

  1. This is totally unrelated to the topic at hand, but I just have to share this with you. Reading about millet on your blog gave me the courage to give my baby girl millet and she had no reaction what so ever and this is officially our first grain. She isn't wild about the tiny puffs and I was wondering if there are any other millet products that are a hit at your house.

    Stefaniestyle@hotmail.com
    http://daveandthejensengirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete